Sunday, December 21, 2008

Setting up a readers service is hard

I've been tasked with organizing and conducting Reader-led vespers services during the week beginning next year. I have to learn:

  • Learn those things proper to priests and clergy and those which I can do. Also, what replacements should be made where.

  • Learn the samohlasen tones.
Samohlasen – literally “same tone;” the name given to the musical family of
eight tones (i.e. formulas) used to sing certain texts in Vespers, Matins, and other
services.
  • Learn the stichera from the Octoechos for the week I'm doing the service and stichera for the saint of the day based on the specific saint or the common class of saint (martyr, hierarch, venerable, fool for Christ, etc.).
Octoechos - meaning the "Eight Modes", is the fundamental structure for classifying and describing modes (echos) in Byzantine music.

Sticheron – literally “verse;” a generic term for ecclesiastical hymns sung alternately
with psalm verses, particularly at the Lamp-lighting Psalms of Vespers and the
Psalms of Praise at Matins.
  • Learn the Prypivy (Cantor Verses) in the Eight Tones for Vespers and Matins.
  • Learn when and how to cense the parish and the people therein.
  • Learn a lot more...
At the moment I feel like I'm putting a puzzle together. Some sections of vespers my family already does for evening prayers, some I am used to through experience as a parishioner, and some are completely confounding to me.

Please pray for me!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds exceedingly complex =)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come to think of it, it's all Greek to me.

    (I always wanted to say that in an actual conversation LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are awesome! If you need to, do look at the cantor institute's website for help with the music. If you have the 7 cd set on our liturgy, you can put in the music with the tones and play it over and over.

    ReplyDelete