Friday, May 30, 2008

On Catholic/Orthodox conversations

The ever-readable and enlivening Koinonia has written a lengthy article here. Below is a portion from the bottom of the article.

...

So, what has this to do with the difficulties we often see in Catholic/Orthodox conversations?

Though it needs to be developed more fully, I would suggest this: We often talk as if the Catholic/Orthodox dialog is a conversation is between two different, even competing, traditions. In fact these conversations are always conversations between human beings who in their conversations with each other, make selective appeals to their own understanding of the past, both their own and the other's. Traditions, to state the painfully obvious, do not have conversations—only human beings can speak, can enter into a conversations. Excellent points! Tradition, as Metropolitan John (Zizioulas) has pointed out in Being in Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church, only exist enhypostatically (ἐνυπὀστασις - the human nature of Jesus is derived from the Logos hypostasis [i.e. member in the Trinity]), that is, by way of the person.

Too often conversations between Eastern and Western Christians are not understood as human encounters. In fact, I would suggest that the reason that our conversations are so often polemical, is because we imagine that there is nothing of ourselves in our talks with each other. Let me go even further, we are so often polemical because we are striving not to encounter one another. We do not wish to know the other, because not only do we do not wish to be know by the other, we do not know, or even wish to know, ourselves personally. Any human encounter is necessarily one that demands from me both self-knowledge and change. To refuse one or the other of these is to refuse the encounter, the gift of the other person and so to refuse to receive my own life as a gift from God.

For too many of us, our attachment to our religious tradition is an escape, a refusal, of the dynamic and gratuitous quality of our own lives. We do not wish to grow, to change. Our conversations are polemical because more often than not, our thinking about ourselves is static and rigid. Catholic/Orthodox polemics—at least as we see them in contemporary practice—are only accidentally theological. In the main (and I will address this more in another post) our polemics reflect our own lack of wholeness, of balance, of our own lack of virtue. Or, to borrow from psychology, our encounters so often go wrong because of we are neurotic. And, to push things a bit further, Eastern and Western Christians tend to favor different neurotic styles.
Complete article here.

4 comments:

  1. This article makes a good point.

    Perhaps I'm more inclined to hold the Catholic/Orthodox tradition against the Protestant one. I'm a convert to Catholicism, though I looked at Orthodoxy for a long while, and it was mostly because I couldn't find anyone enthusiastic about helping me convert in that direction, that I ended up on the other side of the Tiber.

    However, I find I have a great affection for the Orthodox tradition. I can understand the divisions about the Papacy, the date of Easter, the filioque, etc. But, there is so much more that we do share, or at least, share in degree, that I can't see the problem with looking at both.

    Perhaps I'm an Eastern Catholic at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do point out an interesting conundrum. If you ask a parishioner from an "ethno-centric" Orthodox parish which is the best and truest church they will say theirs (at least from personal experience). Then if you say you want to come to church there they will look at you quizzically for a moment and say something like, "But you're not Greek?" This is not representative of all parishes, but a common enough occurrence that after reading only a few convert-to-Orthodoxy blogs you'll end up reading the same uncomfortable post over and over.

    Ever been to any of the Eastern Catholic parishes near you in CT?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has been in that position. But, as I said, it hasn't stopped me from studying my Gregory of Nyssa in conjunction with my Augustine.

    As to E.C.'s in CT-I haven't visited them yet. Presently, I'm still in DC (I leave for CT in August), and I frequent the local Eastern Catholic bookstore a bit. There is a small monastery attached to the store, which I've wanted to attend. Everything else is too far away.

    Do you know of any good E.C.'s in CT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link--and I sympathize with the odd response many inquires and visitors get when they approach the Orthodox Church. sigh!

    I am always up for a chat thought! :)

    ReplyDelete