Monday, October 6, 2008

Egalitarianism: Heresy?

(Mere Comments) - Friends have told me there are a number of influential people who have come to the conclusion that egalitarianism is properly identified as a heresy, but for various reasons decline to identify it as such in their public communication.

I understand those reasons, and myself enjoy similar reticence from those who consider me a heretic. Although the documents of Vatican II do not use that word to describe Protestants, their definitions justify it. Protestants will not confess one or more doctrines the Roman Church teaches are de fide--required of all the faithful--and this has alienated them, formally. To Catholics, Protestants are heretics. I don’t think it bothers them much, since most of them appear to be undeclared Protestants themselves, but few of them make heavy weather of it, and I am grateful.

My own willingness to name egalitarians as heretics, however, arises from several grounds. First, admittedly, I have far less to lose by doing it than many do. My wages are not paid by anyone who cares much (yet) about my religious opinions, and there is no disagreement on the issue in my immediate family. I don’t have much status, or any club memberships to lose--I long ago gave up on these. I have known, and believed, from my early youth that Christians who act and think like Christians should expect to pay for it in this world, sometimes with their lives. I don’t much like “marginalization,” and like even less the cloud that so often covers the faces of some people when they find out who I am, but have tried to be prepared much worse. When I see the horrors to which other believers are subject for trying to be Christians, why should I complain about a bit of unpopularity?...

Complete article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment