Monday, March 16, 2009

My interview with the Orthodox Kids Pen Pal foundress

I've decided to add an interview component to the blog. The first such interview discusses the new and exciting Orthodox Kids Pen Pal program. Please feel free to re-post this interview.

BTX
is Byzantine, TX and OM is Orthodox Mom.



BTX: Thanks for taking the time to talk about your new Orthodox Kids Pen Pal program.

Can you tell me a little about how this idea came to you?

OM: The thought first came to me after a conversation with my 5-year old son about being the only child in his class who makes the sign of the cross before he eats. I kept thinking I wish there was a way to help Orthodox children connect with each other. A way for them to have a friend that they can discuss things like making the sign of the cross, feast-day traditions and favorite saints with.

Some children are fortunate to live in large Orthodox communities. We love where we live but there are very few small children and that can be difficult--for both children and parents!


BTX: I've heard the response has been quite good. Were you surprised by the turn out?

OM: Thank God! Yes, I was very surprised! I was hoping to get at least 20 children signed up, that was my goal. Right now we have just under 100 children! We have kids from all over the states as well as countries such as Canada, Greece and even one family from China! It's amazing, I really feel like God has blessed this program and I pray he continues to bless it and the families participating.


BTX: I know you're still pairing children up, but has anything about the people signing up stood out in your mind? More boys or girls? A lot of one age group? A lot of entrants from one state or region?

OM: Like I said I really feel like God has His hand in this program. I was amazed, brought to tears really, by the way the children paired up so perfectly. One child, named Basil wanted a partner from Alaska and when I was looking to see who his partner could be I found a child from Alaska who's favorite saint is St. Basil. There were just so many of these "coincidences" that I am still utterly amazed.

As far as ages and locations, it's pretty much spread evenly across the board. The ages range from"scribble pals" as young as 18 months to kids as old as 17. We did get a pretty fair amount of children from Alaska which I think is pretty neat.


BTX: As someone who has signed up three of his own children I am quite excited to see who they get paired with and what sort of things they'll talk about. What sort of criteria did you use for putting children together?

OM: I tried my best to pair them up according to gender, age and interests.


BTX: You mentioned on your blog Adventures of an Orthodox Mom
(http://orthodoxmom.blogspot.com/) that you have some activities planned for the children. Any chance we could get a sneak preview of your plans?

OM: Actually I just posted a big surprise today. :)

Big Surprise!

Potamitis Publishing, which is an Orthodox Children's book publisher, has generously donated 12 books to give away (one per month) at random throughout the year to program participants. It's pretty exciting!

I have other activities in mind such as paper icon swaps, different icon swaps, ornament swaps during the Nativity Fast, etc. I have a lot of things stirring in my mind... :)


BTX: So how will this work after the first batch of kids are matched up? Do you plan to allow rolling submissions? Quarterly? Some time next year?

OM: As of this morning all the children are paired up! {Whew!} I am going to continue accepting submissions throughout the year and I plan to "partner up" on a quarterly basis. This time frame allows me to collect enough names to partner them up efficiently and keeps things running on a sort-of schedule.


BTX: Any plans to expand the program to its own website? How about getting the word out to Orthodox periodicals?

OM: I am definitely hoping to expand the program. I hope to get a flyer designed to fax/send to different churches and church affiliated organizations. Word of mouth seems to have been pretty effective thus far so I'm counting on that too! I'd love to connect as many children as possible, I just think it's wonderful.

I did recently buy a domain (www.orthodoxmom.com) and am still trying to decide what exactly to use it for. So who knows? It may become the home to the Orthodox Kid's Pen Pal Program!

I haven't looked into any Orthodox publications as of yet. I'd love to advertise that way but cost will be a major deciding factor in that.

Also, if anyone can help me out with a flyer that would be great! Believe it or not, I'm not that computer savvy. :)


BTX: I remember when I was a child how special it was to get a letter from a friend or family member. What do you think makes sending and receiving letters so special?

OM: I'm not sure. I know that there is nothing like holding a handwritten note in your hand; seeing the swirls and scribbles of someone else's penmanship. It's like there's a little bit of that person in each letter.

As much as I use e-mail and internet technology, it saddens me to see such a lack of handwritten letters nowadays. I try to do as much written correspondence as possible. Plus, everyone loves getting something in the mail! Though as an adult, bills don't count! My husband laughs every time I receive a card or letter--I make a cup of tea, get my letter opener and savor every word!

There's just something special in a letter. You know that someone cared enough to take time out to sit down and write something especially for you.


BTX: If parents want to sign their kids up for the program how would they do that? If they don't have Internet access could they send you a letter?

OM: Parent's can e-mail me at OrthodoxMama{at}gmail{dot}com. If they don't have internet access they can certainly send a letter or even give me a call.


BTX: Last question. What do you hope these kids get out of this experience?

OM: I hope that each child develops a wonderful friendship with their pal--their brother or sister in Christ. We Orthodox Christians have a very special bond that I think will naturally take a hold of the hearts of these children. I hope they will find someone to not only chat with about daily life and interests but someone that they could confide in.

These are tough times we're living in and I truly believe even more difficult days lie ahead, especially for young people. It's important to have these type of friendships. I had an Orthodox pen pal, a girl I met at Camp Nazareth, and it was a great thing, especially as a teenager.

I am hoping that these friendships will last throughout their lives...even into eternity. :)


BTX: Thanks again for your time!

OM: Thank you! Readers can go to Adventures of an Orthodox Mom and click on the Orthodox Kid's Pen Pal Program to view all the details!

3 comments: