Monday, April 6, 2009

Garrison Keillor and the liturgy

When I was young my mother would drive us to our grandparents' after church for a Sunday meal. On the way A Prairie Home Companion would be on the local NPR station. While not a huge fan of the program, it's indelibly marked into my brain as a piece of my childhood. If you have ever listened to the show then you know the host, Garrison Keillor, often has a musical guest of the bluegrass/folk persuasion and just as often joins in on the song - ruining it entirely with his off-key harmonizing.

To wit, I have coined the term in our family:

keillor - verb.

(often keilloring) to ruin an otherwise enjoyable song by singing in attempted harmony or to the exclusion of the principal singer or singers. Often done loudly, with an imperfect recall of lyrics, and in the company of innocent bystanders.

During the liturgy I am at times in reception of a keilloring parishioner who doesn't take a new liturgy book, but continues to sing loudly using the wrong words and to his own tune. I look at my wife and she knows... we've been keillored again.

5 comments:

  1. I might sometimes be guilty of keilloring. Definitely in the car listening to the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're in the car by yourself you're safe from being branded a keillorian.

    If you are with children you are safe from the title as this behavior is often a coping mechanism for the mayhem happening behind you.

    If you acknowledge that you have a less than perfect voice and do not make all effort to suck the bonhomie out of the room by blanketing it with overpowering, fallacious vocals you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think keilloring is something that happens in almost EVERY Ruthenian parish. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. how about the 'choir directors' who are more intersted in a preformance then congregational worship. some of the wrong words can be blamed on a dozen or so translations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, yes, but I was more referring to the more comical aspect and not so much the variety of translations out there.

    While I do wish for more uniformity in translation of the "basics" (Our Father, the Creed, etc.) I wonder what mechanism will make that happen.

    ReplyDelete