Monday, January 4, 2010

Even more "Orthographs" from Pithless Thoughts

I think I have an unhealthy attachment to these cartoons.

On a serious point, I find that no good deed goes unpunished on the Internet. For every effort I see made to unite, clarify, coordinate, or dialogue there is always a phalanx of insurgents posting screeds and filling up comment boxes.



This is especially true in my parish where it has been made clear, by reference to some invisible geriatric yardstick, that "You must be this old to sit in one of these chairs." I can hold a child for over an hour while he writhes and cuffs me about the head and shoulders, but as soon as I sit down I know they are wondering just how long I plan to enjoy my near pagan recumbency.

4 comments:

  1. You'll get used to it after a while. It probably took me a good year to get used to the standing. And now, it has taken me 8 years to start sitting down during Kathismas occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we stood for a goodly amount of time in my last parish, but the church was divided by standing space and chairs. If you got tired you could put children in the back chairs (or lay them down as the case allowed) and then return to standing. The same was true for the Epistle reading/homily. I may find a place to lean against the next time I'm trying to keep a child from making a run for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it isn't standing that is the problem. it is standing still with a revolving, wrestling, circus act that cares not how it looks or if you are suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stood with the kids for the first time ever while we were on vacation and I didn't have to lead any choirs. I definitely feel for all of the parents, especially my own wife.

    ReplyDelete