Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A podcast worth a listen

(AFR) - Fr. Meletios Webber is the Abbott of the Holy Monastery of St. John of San Francisco and the author of Bread and Water, Wine and Oil: an Orthodox Christian Experience of God. He also has a podcast called Jottings from a Holy Mountain - Orthodox Monastic Spirituality.
When I heard Abbot Meletios was going to come speak in my area this month, I remembered that I had read his book last year and thought I'd see what else he had done. I was surprised to see that he had started a podcast.

Having listened to the last two installments I must say that they provide a rare glimpse into topics not easily uncovered. These particular podcasts dealt with the "ranks" of monasticism in the Greek and Russian traditions, with the meaning of vocation as it pertains to how one decides to be a monk, and of the current trends in monastic organization in places like Mount Athos (specifically the use of the Great and Lesser Schema). I will speak bluntly and say, for as many wonderful podcasts as AFR has, it also has some less than inspiring material. This series promises to be one I will listen to immediately as new recordings surface.

1 comment:

  1. I came across Fr Meletios' podcasts a couple of months ago myself. Betraying my provincial prejudices, his refined British accent initially put me off. However, never one to let my own mediocrity stand in the way of a chance to learn something, I kept listening. By the end of the first podcast I heard I was hooked. I fully agree with Josephus; if you are going to add only one podcast to your list this year, make it this one.

    ReplyDelete