Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Table in the Presence of My Enemies

U.S. Marines from the 2nd MEB, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines watch as a helicopter takes of from the landing zone at forward operating base Golestan in Afghanistan's Farah province Thursday, June 11. AP / David Guttenfelder



(AFR) - Fr. David Alexander, an Antiochian priest and chaplain with the United States Marine Corps, gives us a window into life with his Marines as they battle in Afghanistan and his struggle to be a shepherd in their midst.

On a new In the Valley of the Shadow of Death, Fr. David Alexander describes what it's like to build and prepare an Orthodox altar for his Marines in Afghanistan, most of whom are not Orthodox Christians.

A Psalm of David, 22.

The Lord is my shepherd, and I shall not want.

In a place of green pasture, there hath He made me to dwell;

beside the water of rest hath He nurtured me.

He hath converted my soul, He hath led me on the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

For though I should walk in the midst of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they have comforted me.

Thou hast prepared a table for me in the presence of them that afflict me. Thou hast anointed my head with oil, and Thy cup which filleth me, how excellent it is!

And Thy mercy shall pursue me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord unto length of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment