Monday, May 3, 2010

Anointing of the Sick

On Friday at the OCA cathedral in Dallas there was an Anointing of the Sick performed for two men. The anointing had the complete complement of participants: one bishop (Archbishop Dmitri), seven priests, two deacons, and two servers. It was very well attended by laypeople from multiple jurisdictions. I took my handy pocket book (pictured left) and, beyond some differences in wording, I was able to follow along.

I didn't take pictures as I was reluctant to photograph this sort of event. The ceremony took over two hours to go through the introductory prayers, rotation of seven anointings by seven priests, and then a final prayer over the sick gentlemen. It was quite an experience, and I'll go again if it is made available.

No comments:

Post a Comment