Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Alaska and its saints

Some weeks ago I was going on my nightly walk with earphones in listening to podcasts when I came upon a podcast entitled "The American Martyrs." It described some history of the missionary efforts to Alaska, the cultures found there, and of course the hagiographies of the saints who gave their lives for the Church. I was riveted. I asked my children some days later, as they go annually to St. Peter the Aleut Orthodox Summer Camp, if they knew anything about St. Peter. They didn't. Hearing that I was a bit ill at ease. This history is our history. As American faithful I felt it my duty not only to learn more (as my understanding of the narrative is certainly full of holes), but also to pass this knowledge on to my children.

It so happens that my wife had a terrible fall last week. She fell in the kitchen reaching for something on a high shelf and broke multiple bones in the ankle area, one of which pierced her skin and lay exposed agains her leg. She was rushed to the hospital and has today completed her second and final surgery. Given the opportunity to sit in numerous dreary rooms filled with alternating sleeping and nervous people milling about, I opened a book by Fr. Michael J. Oleksa called Alaskan Missionary Spirituality to pass the time.

It's a great book so far. The introduction gives a solid historical prospective to the selections that make up the book. Having just listened to the aforementioned podcast I was able to jump right back into the cold, the strange foods, cultural dynamics, and monks' evangelical fervor of the time. The native peoples seem primed for the Good News to "complete" their cosmology and the monks chose to "baptize" what they found by learning the languages, respecting the people who flocked to them, and getting in small, dangerous ships to boat from remote village to village. The preconceived notions I had about native life were quickly dispatched. I'm looking forward to more reading time tonight.

9 comments:

  1. Oleksa's Orthodox Alaska is also very good. In some ways, the book you are reading is more of a primary source reader. That is both its strength and its weakness - it can get a little tedious to wade through a lot of the minutiae (the first 2/3 of the book flew by, the last 1/3 was a bit more of a slog).

    You should also read Paul Garrett's Saint Innocent, Apostle to America (Saint Vladimir's Seminary Press; Crestwood New York, 1979). The OCA website also has pretty expansive resources on the saints of North America here:

    http://www.oca.org/FSnasaints.asp?SID=4

    There are also bios on previous bishops of the Metropolia/OCA, including Sts Innocent and Tikhon among many others, here:

    http://www.oca.org/HSbioindex.asp?SID=7

    OrthodoxHistory.org also has a lot of great little posts on important Orthodox figures in North America (including a colonial era convert to the faith!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. I'll look into that book directly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too just got this book and began reading, thanks for the further resources melxiopp, I really like the Alaskan saints so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good heavens, is your wife Svetlana? Matushka Michelle (Krasiva) had asked for prayers for her the other day and I've been praying for her but I had no idea of the connection. Please let her know we're praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This history is our history."
    I suppose that it is nice to have one's very own version of history. But it is even better to adhere to the truth.

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Irenikon/message/42397

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's more than a supposition that one would want the history they learn to be truthful. Why, without some esoteric scholarly cause, would one waste time reading it otherwise. A bit surprising my hospital reading drew much interest, but I never know what will get commented on now or years later as happens on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. prayers for your wife's recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I think it's more than a supposition that one would want the history they learn to be truthful. Why, without some esoteric scholarly cause, would one waste time reading it otherwise."

    I think it is just the opposite. Truth in history is an esoteric scholarly cause. Most folks want an "our" history to support our beliefs and our causes. St. Peter the Aleut being a case in point.

    ReplyDelete