Friday, December 17, 2010

'Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer' premiering


(ARCHONS) - A major motion-picture about divine wisdom, timeless insight, silence and prayer, entitled, “Mysteries of the Jesus Prayer” will premiere for three-months on Comcast and Verizon Fios Video-On-Demand, beginning on December 15, 2010.

His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew offers a foreword and introduction to this story as it travels to the far reaches of the east, discovering the Jesus Prayer firsthand with Emmy award winning theologian and author, Dr. Norris J. Chumley, and renowned historian and priest, Very Rev. Dr. John A. McGuckin. They take a modern exodus to the ancient lands where Christianity and the Church began, witnessing the Jesus Prayer directly in monasteries and chapels, many places that are off-limits to the outside world.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, well waiting on the DVD.
    I thought the home of Christianity was Bethlehem, Nazareth and Jerusalem in Judea and the Galilee not Egypt.
    Interesting not a single segment is from these sites in modern israel. Typical anti-Jewish, anti-Israel anti-semiticism from the Orthodox Church. Worse than even from the Roman Catholic Church.
    I'll still get the DVD and glean from it what I can that is of value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew, how many Roman Catholic documentaries do you know of that highlight Mount Athos, and the Coptic Orthodox Monastaries. Not many or any that I know of. The Orthodox are not anti-Jewish as you presume. How many Western Christians are aware of these Christian holy places from the East. This is a great movie that will introduce many western Christians to the beauty of Eastern Christianity. Enough has been documented on the holy places that you have mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can get a little sensitive about anti-Israelism too but I think I will buy this DVD because, after all, we all know about Galilee, Bethlehem, etc, but for myself I know much less about Orthodox Egypt. It's good to remember the verse so beloved of the Copts, "Out of Egypt I will call my Son," and I find it intriguing that Egypt is both a byword for sin *and* the place to which the Holy Family went as refugees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose you are correct but I just don't like anti-Jewish provocations under any circumstances. I did say I'd buy it anyway.
    Margaret, how is Miss Tinley these days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Curmudgeon I agree that the physical home of Christianity is the places you mentioned but this movie isn't about the home of Christianity, it is about the Jesus Prayer which was created or rather popularized in Egypt in the 5th century. How that leads to the conclusion that the Orthodox Church is anti-Jewish, anti-Israel and anti-semitisism is beyond my understanding. I'm sure there are some reasons behind that statement beyond this film but I feel it is inappropriate to voice that opinion here. For instance why would a movie about The Nicene Creed feature scenes from anywhere but Turkey? Christianity didn't develop in a vacuum and nor will it continue to.

    ReplyDelete