CHICAGO, IL (OCA-DOMW) - "Spirituality" will be the focus of the first in a new cycle of courses in Chicago in the Diocese of the Midwest's Catechist and Diaconal Vocations Program.
Taught by Priest Elijah Mueller, Director of Catechist and Diaconal Vocations for the diocese, the first class session will be held on Saturday, February 25, at Saint Makarios Mission, Hyde Park. Classes will meet on the second Saturday or Sunday of every month, while locations may vary.
According to Father Elijah, the course will survey five major aspects of Orthodox Christian spirituality, including
Individuals who complete the full cycle of courses will receive a Diocesan Catechist Certificate. Completion of the program also fulfills a requirement for eligible persons to petition for ordination to the diaconate.
- prayer and the inner life in Orthodox Christian Tradition,
- the understanding of the human being from a theological perspective,
- the use of Scripture and Liturgy in understanding the human person's approach to God,
- traditional images and ideas used to understand progress and regress in spiritual life, and
- the manner in which one engages in ascesis.
The all-inclusive fee for the course is $400.00. Payable to the Diocese of the Midwest, the fee may be paid at any point in the semester or in "installments."
For further information and/or to register for the class, contact Father Elijah directly at 312-714-9775 or firstname.lastname@example.org.