Sunday, July 1, 2012

A word to hipsters

Sobornost has a great post entitled "Hipsters and Orthodoxy."



Hipster Christians, I’m going to help you out. I see you are grasping at something, trying to find the ironic Church of your dreams, where men can grow beards of foolish proportions and women can dress like their grannies’ grannies, a place where scarves are worn in every unfashionable fashion imaginable, a place where people do shots and eat hummus at community gatherings, enjoy rooms filled with a fog of incense and prefer to read books that pre-date industrialisation.

I would like to direct your attention to “The Orthodox Church.”

We Orthodox were Christians before it was cool. We started following the Apostles’ teachings hardcore before the Bible was even written. Actually, we read the books of the Bible before they were officially published. And not to brag or anything, but we spoke in tongues before it was “a thing.” Stuff like that.

In addition to enjoying long beards, drinking and the occasional cigarette, we are super mellow. This is called being “dispassionate” but you will simply recognize it as being extremely cool…without trying too hard. You know what I mean...

Complete article here.

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I am something of a hipster, and I worry that my interest in Orthodoxy is at least partially driven by hipsterism. But then I keep coming back to the fact that Orthodoxy is true and I feel better about it.

    ReplyDelete