Sunday, March 31, 2013

How it should be done: St. Innocent Church in Macon, GA



(Vimeo) - Filmed, edited, produced and directed, by Ted Liedle. This has been one of the most interesting and fun projects I have done in over 40 years of production. I have grown to love these people.

Prior to my experience with this Orthodox community I had some previous glimpses. I led a film team into Eastern Slovenia in 96 and we filmed a procession through a Balkan village to the local Orthodox church--very lovely and impressive. In 2011 I was embedded as press in Afghanistan where I met a US Army Reserve Chaplain setting up for an Orthodox service in a chapel at Bagram Airfield. I found him kind and articulate about Orthodoxy, and noted the lack of polemics in our discussion. My many conversations with Fr. Theophan at St. Innocent were also void of polemics, and very interesting.

I filmed mostly using a Sony NEX VG20 large chip camera with an f 3.4-5.6 18-200mm lens. Slo-Mo of the censer was shot with a Panasonic Lumix FZ200 at 120 fps. The Lumix has an f 2.8 25-600mm lens, and I will take this small camera with me to film a documentary while I thru-hike the Appalachian Trail, northbound, 2013.

I used a CamCrane jib with remote Pan Tilt Vista Head for some shooting. Sticks for some. High Hat for some. No handheld. Natural light except for a few interviews. All interviews were extempore, no scripting.

Grateful appreciation to the church members who assisted both with the production and as interviewees.

Copyright 2013, Liedle Films, All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

  1. A'm from Russia, and this short film was very interesting for me. Big part of us look to your Churches and slight expirience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm blessed to be a part of a very welcoming and diverse Orthodox parish as well. May this warmth truly, more and more, come to characterize all Orthodox parishes. Truly may Christ be allowed to shine through, not only in the Liturgy, but in all aspects of our parish life. That is my prayer.

    ReplyDelete