Thursday, January 8, 2015

A visit to San Diego on Christmas

I was blessed to have been given the opportunity to travel to San Diego and attend Nativity Vigil at St. George Serbian Orthodox Church. The parish was packed as you might expect and was served by three priests and a deacon. The service was celebrated in about 10% English, but as I'm familiar with the service it was easy to follow.

Amusingly, the woman standing next to me thought I was joking when I told her I spoke no Serbian and then grew concerned as to why I was there at all. This is a pretty standard response when I visit churches while traveling.

After the vigil there was Badnjak (you can read about it here) followed by a communal meal complete with Serbian tea (see here). I quite enjoyed my visit and hope to make another one in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment