Friday, September 18, 2015

St. Basil on the poor

Who has the best blog supplying daily quotes? Dover Beach in my opinion.


http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/julia-hayes.html
“What keeps you, now, from giving? Isn’t the poor man there? Aren’t your own warehouses full? Isn’t the reward promised? The command is clear. The hungry man is dying now, the naked man is freezing now, the man in debt is beaten now – and you want to wait till tomorrow?

“I’m not doing any harm,” you say, “I just want to keep what I own, that’s all.”

Which things, tell me, are yours? Whence have you brought them into being? You are like someone who sits down in a theater, and would prohibit everyone else from entering, saying that what is there for everyone to enjoy is for himself alone.”

– St. Basil the Great

No comments:

Post a Comment