Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sad end / new beginning

Crisis Magazine is going to stop putting out a print version of their magazine and move completely online. The content will be free. Crisis has always been a joy to read, but what made it great for me was that it was just the right size. If I was taking our weekend drive and we stopped for a bit (drinks at the 7/11, visiting family, the inevitable potty break), I could just pick it up and read until it was time to move the caravan on.

As a "perk" of my profession I'm on the Internet an eye straining 8 hours a day. I get RSS/ATOM feeds, read blogs, and news sites, but rarely read articles of the length that are published in Crisis. How many people have the patience or interest to read pages of text from a computer screen? I never have unless forced to by necessity (white pages, tech briefs).

So this leaves me feeling rather put out even with the free, "we're sorry the change" CD pack being sent to print subscribers. I read other magazines of course, but now I think I'll have to find another magazine to fill the void.

No comments:

Post a Comment