Saturday, December 8, 2007

A history of prayer ropes

THE HISTORICAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE ORTHODOX PRAYER ROPE AND ITS IMPORTANCE TO OUR SPIRITUAL LIFE

I enjoyed this quick overview of the use of various materials to count prayers and build regimented monastic practices around them. I've been looking for a way to include it into our home practices, but have found it a little difficult. This gives me some ideas. If it works I'll post on it.
Maybe 3 led prayers, 3 prostrations, and then seven in silence (divide by 10)?

In monasteries, this is how the rite of the Jesus Prayer is conducted by the monks each night.

The Abbot stands ahead of the Monks, each with prayer rope in hand. The Abbot then recites the Prayer three times out loud. Then the monks, crossing themselves and reciting the prayer as they make the Sign of the Cross, make 30 prostrations down to the floor. Then the remaining 70 prayers are said in silence. This is repeated, in all, ten times to make up the daily 300 prostrations and 700 prayers - in reality 1,000 Jesus Prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Please keep us updated. I too search for ways of family prayer.

    I am considering dividing up the kathismata for that purpose .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a great idea.

    http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/typicon_psalms.aspx

    I'll certainly post how things go as I test them out.

    ReplyDelete