Sunday, April 13, 2008

Arroyo interviews President Bush

I just reread the transcripts of the interview with President Bush on The World Over. Below are some of the quotes I found most memorable. The entire video can be watched here and the transcripts are available here. He touched on Africa, the Olympics, freedom, God, and the importance of the Pope of Rome.

Arroyo: Mr. President, this is the first head of state, Pope Benedict the XVI, you will ever greet on a tarmac. I was stunned to learn this. Why are you going and greeting him at an airstrip? Usually the heads of states come here.

THE PRESIDENT: Because he is a really important figure in a lot of ways. One, he speaks for millions. Two, he doesn't come as a politician; he comes as a man of faith. And, three, that I so subscribe to his notion that there are -- there's right and wrong in life, that moral relativism has a danger of undermining the capacity to have more hopeful and free societies, that I want to honor his convictions, as well.

...

Arroyo: Even your critics say they are amazed by you, and baffled by you, because you remain so positive, so upbeat -- (laughter) -- so on point. How much of that is a function of your faith?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, that's a very good question. You know, I don't think you can disassociate your faith with how you live your life. I mean, I think it's all engrained. And I am optimistic because I happen to believe in certain universal principles, and I do believe that freedom is universal, and if just given a chance, people will live in a -- will self-govern and live in a peaceful, free society.
And history is my witness. I mean, after all, one of my best buddies in the international community was Prime Minister Koizumi. My dad fought the Japanese. Prime Minister Koizumi and I worked to keep the peace. It's an amazing -- it's one of the great ironies.
And my faith has -- you know, my faith has been so sustaining in the midst of -- in the midst of what is a pretty hectic life, full of flattery and criticism. And faith keeps a person grounded. Faith reminds people that there's something a lot more important than you in life.
I've been inspired by the prayers from ordinary citizens. And I have come to realize one -- more clearly the story of the calm in the rough season.

...

Arroyo: Let's talk for a moment. You had Cardinal Zen, who is a freedom fighter --

THE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Arroyo: -- in Hong Kong. You invited him to a private meeting here at the White House, which was totally unexpected. You are now planning on going to the Olympics there in --

THE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Arroyo: -- to be at the opening ceremonies at the Olympics. You just said earlier, freedom is a gift from the Almighty. Considering the human rights record --

THE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Arroyo: -- of that regime, how can you in good conscience go to that ceremony, Mr. President?

THE PRESIDENT: Because I -- you know, I'm going to the Olympics, for starters. And I've -- my plans aren't -- haven't changed. And the reason why is because I can talk to him about religious freedom prior to the Olympics, during the Olympics and after the Olympics -- which I have done. I don't need the Olympics to express my position to the Chinese leadership on freedom. I just don't need them -- because that's all I have been doing as your President. In other words -- if people say, well, you need to express yourself clearly about freedom of religion, my answer is, what do you think I've been doing?

...

Arroyo: You said, famously, when you looked into Vladimir Putin's eyes you saw his soul.

THE PRESIDENT: Yes.

Arroyo: When you look into Benedict XVI's eyes what do you see?

THE PRESIDENT: God.

Arroyo: Good way to end the interview.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you, sir.

Arroyo: Thank you, sir. My pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. You always do well to have the table of the Catholic Church set for one more, these days - and I really mean it - you just never know who is going to come home.

    Gov. Jeb Bush is already Catholic.

    No one was expecting Tony Blair...

    Or last year's four Episcopal Bishops...

    Or the Lutheran bishop in Canada...

    Or Magdhi Christiano Allam...

    Or Methodist pastor Allen Hunt - pastor of the 3d largest congregation in the Methodist Church...

    Or the PRESIDENT of the Evangelical Theological Society, Francis Beckwith...

    Or Mar Bawai Soro of the Church of the East (set extra plates, he is bringing 3,000 of his closet friends)...

    Or the Traditional Anglican Communion (at least a proposal was made)...

    Or a seperated traditionalist community...

    Yea, set a place, you never know who is coming to dinner.

    ReplyDelete