Thursday, July 21, 2011

The difficulty of closed communion

I have seen people told they could not receive communion on innumerable occasions. It's such a painful experience to watch that I always turn my face away and feel quite ill at ease for some minutes. Of course some of the same feeling intumesces as I stand off to the side on those Sundays when I have not properly prepared myself. But, though it is a problem for many people, the wisdom of the rules designating who may receive the Precious Body and Blood of Our Lord has not been something I have questioned. I do run into many people who have problems with it, and my inability to readily articulate a defense is something I need to remedy. It is one thing to hold to a belief - it is another thing entirely to be able to convincingly convey that belief to another person.

(pravmir.com) - As an Orthodox priest, I cannot tell you how many times I have had to face someone, whether within my parish or a visitor from outside of it, and tell them that for one reason or another, they will not be able to partake in the Eucharist.

Closed communion—it couldn’t possibly sound more negative. It implies judgement, exclusivity, and moral superiority—all qualities that a pluralistic, democratic and egalitarian society despises. And yet, without a doubt, the Orthodox Church is a closed communion: only those who are baptized members of the Eastern Orthodox Church, who offer a regular confession and who fast and pray in preparation, may receive the Eucharist.

Why does the Orthodox Church practice this policy? It is one thing to exclude those who are not Christians at all, but how can we dare to judge the hearts of other Christians, and exclude them from communion with their Lord and Saviour?

Even writing those words conjures up in my mind the hurt and anger I have seen in the eyes of those who have asked the questions...
Complete article here.

3 comments:

  1. Our Lord and God and Saviour gave the Mysteries to all BUT that most unworthy betrayer. Seems to this priest we should follow His example. Too mnay rules siurrounding reception of the Mysteries draws attention from the healing that Christ brings to all sinners, including priests, in them.

    Fr Moses

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're mixing a few things up here. Where do you draw the line? If you don't believe what the Church teaches, then why do you want to be "in communion" with it? If it is meaningless to you, then being "excluded" from communion, should be meaningless too. Certainly Christ is able to heal all sinners, but they must repent first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful Brother,
    Have you not read the requirements and qualifications of stewardship?
    How dare you challenge the Heirarchy and Traditions?
    Our Orthodox legalistic and authoritarian "policies" (of God, usurped by men) demand total and complete subservience.
    Your rantings will be taken as "Protestant" diatribe.
    You are begging for ex-communication, pun intended.
    Confess your sins of doubt and embarrassment.
    Laugh a little.

    ReplyDelete