Thursday, August 4, 2011

Changing churches, changing strategies

A few hours ago I read a post discussing cry rooms on a popular religious website (my feelings about cry rooms are pretty well documented - see here, here, here, and here). It got me thinking about how my approach to handling children during services has changed over the years.

When I was early in my marriage I held a certain envy for our Coptic friends who sat separately with the men and older boys on one side and the women, small children, and girls on the other. How peaceful! What bliss! But time and experience have taught me that "separate but equal"is not all it's cracked up to be.

Over the years we have sat together in the front in an attempt to give the children something to look at unobstructed by adult bodies and in the back so no one would see how some of our children acted. We have sat apart with me carrying one child on my back with others milling around me while my wife cares for her gaggle far enough away that my charges don't make a run for her. We have loaned children to older parishioners who loved having young children to sit with. We have had children taken out of our arms by matushki who saw our moments of distress. I have even taken an unruly child to the car to sort himself out for a bit while the more well-behaved siblings stay with their mother. In short, we've made use of every technique short of cry rooms we could conjure up.

This doesn't mean we've forced other parishioners to suffer our little children so we could avoid plexiglass incarceration, but it also doesn't mean we've removed our children after their first screech or attempt to break free and go see what the choir is up to, what Father is doing in the altar, or discover what fun can be had at the playground.

To my mind, the existence of the cry room sets up an unreasonable expectation for parents and children that no family can live up to. The thinking develops that any nuisance should have been detected à la Minority Report and stopped before it ever occurred. You can't retroactively "unblemish" the service by divining when a child is going to shriek, make a run for the door to the play area, or stand on the chairs or pews. There aren't seismic detection devices that will predict youthful eruptions. A parent sets up expectations for behavior, looks for ways to keep the child within certain boundaries, and applies consistent discipline when those expectations aren't met. The answer is not to sit every Sunday amongst the faded books, discarded toys, and smell of a changing table until your child is old enough to "get it."

So this month, as we transition from a parish with no seating to speak of to a cathedral full of pews, I think back to what we've tried to corral our children successfully through services in the past. I harken back to what has worked and what hasn't and I look for something from the lessons learned that will stop my two year old from sliding from one side of the pew to the other, that will keep the four year old from making use of the new freedom of being seated a few siblings away from a parent to make numerous visits to the bathroom, that will assure the older children cross themselves properly and sing audibly, and many other things besides. Eventually we'll find the balance between the ideal, my worst fears, and the reality of our situation, but until then it's heuristics. May the Lord guide my steps and impart patience to my fellow parishioners as I do.

7 comments:

  1. Traditionally Orthodox Churches worked just like the Coptic ones you spoke of. Modernism is washing that away along with bringing in the pews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember thinking that I would never again spend an entire liturgy in church again - that I was doomed to examine the porch of the church forever.

    My youngest is now 15, and I can assure you I stand in the Liturgy all the time now. Missing a little one, naturally.

    It's a season. Children worship in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the two churches I have attended, pews are there not because of modernism but because the congregations bought church buildings that had pews.

    My daughter is about sixteen months old. Only processions and munching on prosphora hold her attention while she is in one place.

    To keep her from getting rambunctious, I carry her over to look at and touch each icons and stained glass window along the sides of the nave. She is captivated by them and repeats "angel" when we come to the icon of the Archangels.

    I just hope it is not too distracting for the people standing nearby...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is some new news about the Coptic Orthodox. They are threatening to pull 4,000 families out of a Catholic district in Canada.
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/showdown-4000-families-threaten-to-leave-toronto-catholic-schools-over-gay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our parish bought a 'pre-existing facility' with a back wall pierced by several large 'bay windows' opened to the hall. While I have routinely told the congregation that children's outbursts are to be expected with a living community, the hall ends up being a cry-room nonetheless.
    However, the real problem is more profound: most people come to church to 'get' an experience rather than to offer praise. If they were there to give, they would know that they are to 'give' their patience and provide a place to 'give' children space to encounter God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, Fr. I think what many parishes have lost is a sense of community.

    In some parishes I've gone to people help out with children from other families, older ladies take young children on strolls to look at icons to calm them down, a man will bend down to pick up a book a child has dropped a hundred times that the mother can't bend down to get again, etc.

    I've also visited parishes where there are 40 older couples and three children. Those children are watched all service long and barely tolerated when they make any noise. At the same time those people continue to speak in bewilderment about how no one volunteers for anything, how the coffers keep shrinking, and how there are 10 funerals for every wedding or baptism.

    We are a community of believers and our salvation is worked out inside the Body of Christ with the love of our fellow men sustained by God's grace. When we forget that children are the "hope of the parish" and consider more what we "get" out of church attendance than find ways to "give" of ourselves, we forget our Lord's commandment as made clear by St. Paul:

    "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” And when he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all. Then they all wept freely, and fell on Paul’s neck and kissed him, sorrowing most of all for the words which he spoke, that they would see his face no more. And they accompanied him to the ship.

    ReplyDelete