Thursday, June 26, 2014

Being a good godparent

There is grace in being a godparent and grace in having godly godparents. I pray for my godparents and godchildren every day and I know that my godparents do the same for me. That's a very comforting thing to know, but I know from experience that being a godparent for many is a once in a lifetime event. They are a godparent for the duration of the service and then never again. I'm not sure what the answer to that is. Is it to place a larger role on the pastor to approve the choice of godparents? Is it classes for prospective godparents? Is it books that need to be written for prospective godparents (book and workbook)? Is it an annual day for remembering godparents? I don't know. Your thoughts are appreciated.



(OCN) - What does a godparent do? Does god-parenting require a lot of money to be buying godchildren special things and presents all the time? Or is the spiritual aspect more important?

My brother and sister had rock-star godparents. They sent gifts every holiday–sometimes with homemade koulourakia and kourambiedes. My godfather was not as attentive, though I know he loved and cared about me. He was a bachelor and didn’t really know how to be a good godparent. Growing up, I felt left out. Now, it doesn’t bother me as much, but I do think it’s important for godparents to know how much of an impact they can have on their godchildren. It’s crucial to have a relationship with them.

From the moment you accept the duty and role of a godparent, you are a special person in that adult or child’s life. You are family...
Complete article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment